February 23, 2014

『discussion』Is it a new hype to become vegan/ vegetarian?

What annoys me lately is the strange popularity with being/ becoming vegan/ vegetarian. I find it extremely annoying, that people act like they are something special, only because they decided to live a vegan/ vegetarian life, two days ago. I mean, sure it is a nice thing to eat no animals and not even products by them, like eggs or milk, but they still do not have to act the way most of them do (or at least it feels like it is getting popular to act this way).

It also feels like it is getting more and more popular to become vegan/ vegetarian. Sometimes I think I missed something… Someone please tell me what is going on!

Since I am a vegetarian myself I can not say anything against it, but it annoys me so much that people start to act as if being vegan/ vegetarian means they are a better person. I do not believe that!
It makes one a different person, but not a better one.

Sure everyone has to decide for themselves if they want to become a vegan/ vegetarian, but they should not try to persuade others to become the same. I do not like that at all. Especially when they are only something like two month in it. I am a vegetarian for almost ten years now and I never tried to persuade someone of it. I mean what is the reason to do so? Everyone can have their own opinion on that. The same as everyone can live a life they want. No one should be forced into something, e.g. my sister would die without meat, like I would die without chocolate. That is why we just accepted the decision of the other one.

When the family comes together to have a meal, everyone always gets their special wishes for it. Me the one without meat, my mother without cheese, and so on… sometimes we have four different variations of the same dish. You can see that it perfectly works being vegan/ vegetarian without persuading others too live the same way.

I do not want to say you should stay away from a vegan/ vegetarian lifestyle, I only wonder why it is so popular at the time being. Even book stores are packed with a lot of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks. While I think it is good to finally have more of them in book stores, I also think of it as just being a part of a new big hype.

Some of you might say I should be glad about it, but I just think it is wrong to want to be a part of something only because it is popular or someone else want you to. You should always be able to decide for yourself.

So do not stay away from it, but think properly about it, before deciding something like this.

I am myself a big fan of vegan food and even cookies and cakes, but I know I would miss certain things if I would (suddenly) become vegan. I now, there is vegan chocolate out there, but nothing is better than Milka and Kinder chocolate… and I love camembert, mozzarella and yoghurt so much, that I decided on a vegetarian life instead of a life completely free of these things.


  • What do you think about all of this?
  • Do you believe that this is just a big hype or something different?
  • Are you on the vegan or vegetarian side of life or not?
  • Do you think it is only kinda popular, because of the new hype to live a healthier life?


Please tell me your opinion on this or if you think I'm kinda overreacting. I just want to know if others think about that too. It is just, that since I entered school again, a lot of people are vegan/ vegetarian and always act like they are "oh so special and better" and a few years ago I was like the only one out there and still did not try to persuade people to live the same way as me. I just try to understand the whole matter…

2 comments:

  1. I haven't come across many people who are vegan or vegetarian in real life but do come across it a lot online. I feel like many people thing being vegan or vegetarian is dumb from the other foreigners I've talked to while I've been in Japan. But yeah, online I feel like a lot of people are going along with i because of the hype. Many people are trying to become healthier eaters but only do it half way and claim to be vegan even though they are not. I'm sure they will get over it after a year or less -.-

    I'm not vegan or vegetarian, I try to eat meat to a minimum but I do enjoy having chicken, sushi, etc. so I don't think I'll be vegan anytime soon. My sister back in California recently became vegan due to a documentary she saw with the animal cruelty. I'm avoiding watching it because I know after seeing it I might also want to become vegan and it's kinda hard and expensive in Japan which I cannot afford right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where they come from so suddenly, but lately there are a lot more vegan/ vegetarians around me. Not in my personal life, but at school for example. And yeah, I would say that people like to pretend (?) they are vegan/ vegetarian when they are online.
      No one should ever think being vegan/ vegetarian means to be healthy. It is absolutely not healthy, your missing out at a lot of vitamins and what not…
      I hear it often from my grandpa that he thinks it's dumb, but I just don't care. I'm still thinking everyone should live their life the way they want.

      I can understand that. I never want to persuade someone in becoming vegan/ vegetarian. It's just that I decided some day I don't want to eat meat anymore. I never really liked it and only ate a little bit. I think otherwise I would never have become vegetarian. I for myself can say that I don't even miss it. And I think that is the point. No one should be forced into something. That's why I say it's totally okay for me if others eat meat.
      Oh yeah, I heard about it being expensive to live vegetarian/ vegan in Japan. My friend is wondering what I'll going to eat when I visit her. XD"""

      And thank you for your opinion. I'm so glad for it. ^^

      Delete