January 06, 2019

『books』 Bookish Highlights of 2018

This isn't going to be an exact "Favourite Books of the Year" post, because I am certain I'm not able to decide on that. So I chose my highlights out of all 29 five star rates on goodreads. I read 71 books in 2018 and gave a five star rating to only 29 of them. But another 27 books got a four star rating on goodreads. I didn't really keep track on half star ratings, usually I write them down in the comment/ review section in goodreads. 

Let's enjoy the last 2018 related post. ~


I can't even remember when the hype around Ready Player One was, but I remember that I didn't want to read it back then. And I always thought I wouldn't read it at all. Suddenly the movie announcement came and I got remembered that there was this book and it was something about video games and virtual reality. Now I decided I wanted to read it. I went to the book store, bought the book and read it. AND I LOVED IT SO MUCH!
My goal was to finish the book before the movie came out. Only a few days where left, but I made it. Also went to see the movie. Thought it was a good one, but it could have been better. But for a bookish movie I really liked it.
But seriously, I never would have guessed that I would enjoy the story so much. All the references, the feeling of playing a game, everything was so intriguing and made it feel kind of real. Especially with the knowledge of virtual reality and 3D movies and everything. Surely it's not the same, but kind of scary close. 



I rediscovered poetry. Or better, I actually discovered poetry.
Funny to know, there was a time when I wrote poems. Only for myself and without even knowing what I am doing, but I still wrote. Somewhen I stopped and never picked it up. Never thought about it, never read any poems. But 2018 was the year for (re-)discovering my love for poetry. I would call it modern poetry. But still, I fell into it and The Princess saves herself in this One was the first I read. Since then I read a few more and some more moved onto my shelves.
It was like falling in love. I think what really drew me to this one was the title. And the title alone. It's just so intriguing and self empowering. It breaks the rules of every classic fairytale ever. This is what I liked about it.
I opened it and I didn't get disappointed. I didn't know I could cry this much to poetry. It hit really close with a few and it was so relatable to me.



Ever since I learned Mr. Riordan got a special Riordan Presents section in the Disney publishing house I was excited. I WAS SO EXCITED ! ! !
Until then I only had read the Percy Jackson series. But since I loved it so much, even though I read it at an age of not the targeted age group (which shouldn't ever matter with reading), I knew I needed every book (maybe a bit drastic).
Aru Shah and the End of Time was the one first released. And OMG, IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT ! ! ! Alone the chapter titles are so funny. Kind of stupidly funny, but so funny. I loved the story, I loved the cultural aspects, I loved the characters, I loved the characters growth. I also loved that someone traveled in her pyjamas for the whole (or nearly the whole) story.




A duology I waited way too long to read. Seriously, the hype around these books scared me away. At the beginning of 2018 I started with the Grisha Trilogy, which I also really liked. I just knew I couldn't start these books without reading the trilogy beforehand. Everyone always said you doesn't have to, but I felt like I had to. Also I would recommend reading the trilogy beforehand. Not for the cameos, but to understand the world building. 
What I liked about the Six of Crows duology was the more adult feeling/ writing. I liked that even though the main characters are still in the age of young adults, that it wasn't shaped like the typical ya novel. I liked the more adult feel to it. The way the different characters were growing, the multiply "main" characters,  the way everything worked together. I'm still devastated over what happened in book two towards the end, though. And I probably will never get over it. But the overall ending was a good end to the series.



Well, do I really have to say something about this one? We all know it's my all time favourite book for eternity and onwards. Seriously, I love it so much. The writing, the setting, the story, the characters. EVERYTHING. 
This time around I again listened to the audiobook. I think it's my favourite type of rereading Neil Gaiman's stories, especially when they are read by him. Just. So. Good.
Will probably always be in my highlights. XD"






What do I have to say? Did I love it? Yes. Did it destroy me? Hell, yes! Probably no surprise that it's on here, since it was one of my absolute most anticipated reads of 2018. I enjoyed it so much. I cried, I laughed, I had my fangirl moments. I am not sure how I feel about the end of the book. While it had an interesting ending and in another storyline a satisfying ending, the whole Shadowhunters world got turned upside down and now I'm feeling anxious as hell. Also there might be a thing that went too smoothly for my liking, but who cares, as long as my favourite babies are still well and alive (most of them)!



Actually something I didn't expect to happen. Yes, it's a Shadowhunters novella and I didn't expect it to give me everything I ever wanted. 
I binged nearly all the stories in one night, just shortly before the release of Queen of Air and Darkness, because I nearly forgot about them. So it was a up and down with the feelings and then I reached The Land I Lost and my feelings were all up and mighty.  My heart feels so whole and full just thinking about this story. 
It just underlined everything I love about Alec and that is actually enough to describe the whole thing. At least for me. <3








So, do you have any special bookish highlights of the past year. Let me know down below. <3


*all photos were taken from goodreads.com, from the book's particular page.



No comments:

Post a Comment