October 07, 2016

『31 Days of Blogtober』09/10/2016 - 09/12/2016 Tower of London, A great View & Harrod's

09/10/2016 Tower of London, The London Eye & Millennium Bridge

Started the day with looking for an internet cafe because I needed to print my online tickets. Found one near King's Cross. After that I made my way to the Tower of London and this time I visited it. I'm so glad I did it even though it was the coldest day of the week, windy and raining.

through the entry




Guess why the Traitors Gate is called like that.



Inside the St. Thoma's Tower is one room redesigned after the bedchamber of Edward I.


 



Walking over the outer wall. It's so grey and raining, but kinda fitted the atmosphere there.



At first I was so confused that there monkeys on the roof, but these are only statues to show how there lived animals on the grounds of the tower.



These were so funny to look at while walking around the wall. Luckily we weren't under attack.



The view from the wall over the ground of the tower.




Went to see the Crown Jewels in the Jewel House which is located in the Warterloo Block. I don't know what to say about them. It's kind of impressive to see the Crown Jewels in person but on the other hand it was way too much for me to look at them. I also saw all the gold dishes and what not. Why does anybody need that at all? I rather look at old beautiful buildings than ever to see something like that again.




The elephant next to the Queen Elisabeth Arch is another reminder of the animals which lived at the tower.



The old castle grounds.



A remaining piece of the old Roman City Wall. It was located there were the lines of stones are.



On the grounds in front of the White Tower they held a small show which was the end of a guided tour in a form of a play. It was fun to watch it.



The White Tower is the keep of the tower grounds and provided lodgings for the king and his representatives. Nowadays it's a museum which contains old weapons, armors and a lot of other interesting stuff.



I like how you can look over to the Tower Bridge and combine old and newer in one photo.



The Tower Green where the "privilege" beheading occurred.



I like the contrast between ancient and modern. The fog adds a bit of a spooky feeling to the whole grounds.



These cuties were the best of all the things on the tower grounds. There are at least six ravens held on the grounds, in the believes that the kingdom will fall if they leave.  They are cared for by the Yeorman Warders who live on the grounds.



 


A few more photos of the tower grounds and a special one from one of the shops which had an augmented reality on one of the screens.



Medieval grounds and buildings are just one of the most interesting to visit.  I just love everything that's ancient.






At the Tower Hill station are some medieval remains to look at.



After a long day on the tower grounds I took a break at Starbucks, ate something and had a chai latte to be prepared for the next stop I planed something special for the evening. 

I was kind of scared of it, but I decided to try it out anyway. I took a ride with the London Eye. I planed it to be in the dark and I have the feeling that it was the best decision. London from above in the dark is just so pretty.


view over the Jubilee Bridge



overview of the Houses of Parliament



A few artistic photos of the construction of the London Eye.

  



After the ride I walked to the Millennium Bridge but it just doesn't look that nice in the dark so I didn't take a photo of it. I had the chance of taking a nice photo of the Tower Bridge instead.



Floating Dreams, a three story high lantern by Ik-Joong Kang which is constructed from 500 miniatures drawings and lit from inside. The drawings are from people who fled from North Korea to South Korea during the war and are the remembrance of their hometowns.
It's part of the Totally Thames Festival.



The view to the St. Paul's Cathedral from the side of the Millennium Bridge. Another one of my favourite photos I took. This was the last stop for the night.





09/11/2016 Harrods & Leaving London

My last day in London was nothing special and I only planed a short trip to Harrods. Before I went there I had to check out of the hostel and brought my luggage to the left luggage at Victoria Coach Station.

still wonder how I got my luggage up and down those steps

saw the advertisement at one of the stations


Had a short stop at a drugstore and had to buy some make up. XD


 


Finally at Harrods I found my way to the Disney Store inside. Met the cute alien from Toy Story.



I had the chance to speak with Belle.



And met Mr. Vader again. <3

 


And another Mr. Trooper. ^^



Woody was also there to talk.



Actually I wanted to buy tea and was on a journey through Harrods to find the specialties section. I was so glad when I finally found it, the only difficulty left was to decide which tea to buy.

After that I hurried back to the Victoria Coach Station to check in.

Just unbelievable how steepish the escalators are. I find it so funny that they wrote down, to hold the handrail, on the handrail. XD



Check in at the station was one hour before take off and it was a nightmare. The whole situation on the station was so chaotic and annoying. 

In the end we left 20 minutes to late.




09/11/2016 Back in Berlin

  • 14:51 London
  • 17:20 border to France and 20 min break
  • 21:33 Lille
  • 23:00 Brussels
  • 01:00 Eidenhoven
  • 05:10 Hannover
  • 08:50 Berlin


The funny thing was that with the 20 minutes belated start we arrived 30 minutes early in Berlin and I had to wait to be collected. That was a bit annoying. ~.~


The next two days I just slept through the days. XD

I really had a fun time in London and it's just such a beautiful city with all it's old buildings and historic sights.



No comments:

Post a Comment