December 04, 2016

『blogmas』movie + screenplay review - Fantastic Beasts and where to find them




Ever since I knew that Fantastic Beast and where to find them would be a movie I was overly excited for it. When the first teaser was released I was even more excited, but a bit afraid of how it would turn out. We never had any idea of a story or could read up on it. We only got to know the things they wanted us to know. On the other hand I really liked the idea of it being "independent". This way there wouldn't be any disappointments for being to far away from the book or something. When the first trailers were released I didn't watch them and I decided to not read up on any leaking information, so I can go into the movie without any influence other than my hopes and my excitement.
That really was the best idea I had. 

I watched it on the release day. It felt familiar but still was it's own story. We still had some connections to the one or the other thing or person (at least in name) which I really liked. I also really liked how the creatures turned out and the story itself. It wasn't quite what I expected, because I always thought we would follow Newt's journey around the world finding the fantastic beasts, but still I really liked it. I think it was in a press conference were J.K. Rowling said that Fantastic Beasts  and where to find them is not only a story centred around magical creatures, but also focusing on the beasts within human beings. So I thing that the title is still fitting, because sometimes it's too obvious and sometimes it's too hard to find the beast in oneself or in another person.

First it was a bit strange to be in a whole different magical system in the US and I really was confused by the No-Majes. haha~ But following along with the storyline of the movie I was able to connect and adjust to it. 

I really loved the way each character was portrayed and that it's more of an adult storyline following some everyday situations and still discovering new aspects around each individual, the way they have to deal with job situations and the changes in their magical world.

I really liked the realisation of the movie, the cinematography and the way the movie was cut. Also I really liked the music, how it was similar to the Harry Potter movies but totally different. Especially the main theme song. I was so overwhelmed when it started with the typical Harry Potter notes and turned into a whole new song. 

The day after I watched the movie my hardback copy of the screenplay arrived at home and I immediately started reading it. Not only is that cover design gorgeous, but also all the inside pages. It's filled with pretty illustrations of the different beasts. Since the story takes place in 1926 the design is based on the typical 1920 graphic design (at least it's what I read). 

Reading the screenplay was a whole different experience and I really enjoyed it. You can tell that it's J.K. Rowling's writing and her storytelling. That's what makes it so special. She admitted in one of the press conference of having help in writing a screenplay by David Yates, to get the right feeling for it and I think they did really good with it. Even while watching the movie I could tell that the story came from J.K. Rowling and I really liked it that we had most of the known crew working on the movie. I also really like that all of them will continue working on the upcoming four Fantastic Beasts movies. 

I was really glad I read the screenplay after watching the movie, because I was able to visualise the scenes from the movie while reading. Normally I don't like that, but since there wasn't a whole novel on Newt Scamander and his fantastic beasts I really enjoyed it this way around. 

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them is a really good movie with a lot to discover and to rediscover, with it's light and dark sides focusing on a more adult Wizarding World. It's possible to watch it without ever having seen/ read a single Harry Potter movie/ book, but will add to your already existing experience if you have. 


My rating: 


The trailer:






BONUS I ~ Favourite Character & Favourite Scenes

While a lot of people say that either Queenie or Jacob are their favourite characters, I have to say that it's Newt Scamander for me. While I really loved Jacob and how he accepted everything so lightly and I really liked cute Queenie with her mind reading abilities and the way she acts around different people, I really loved Newt. I like that he still is somewhat awkward around people and is so focused on saving the fantastic beasts and how he tries to convince the wizarding community that not all creatures, if at all, are dangerous and that you only have to try to understand them. 
Really, I can see myself so much in Newt it's unbelievable. 

Spoiler Alert: My most favourite scene was the one in Newt's case with Jacob and the beasts. I loved the wonder of Jacob and Newt's love for each individual creature. Another one of my favourite scenes was when Graves took Newt's case and Newt and Tina were shoved off to be execute and Newt is screaming to not hurt his creatures. My heart broke a little while watching. That scene really showed how much he cares for them. <3 :Spoiler Alert




BONUS II ~ Fun Fact


All my English Harry Potter books in one shelf with the addition of a chocolate frog. In second row there are a few more things in German, but there, not that special. Also I own the first book in French which is between the illustrated edition and the English paperback. 
What really annoys me nowadays is that I own the first four books in paperback and only the last three books in hardback. But at least these are the original covers and the volumes I read when I started reading them in English. My sister has all the German original hardbacks now since I really wanted to keep the English ones. 

Fun fact: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was the first Harry Potter book I only read in English and got it on the release date so I could read it first. It also was the first "real" book (except maybe for school) I read in English.



This is what I discovered when I reorganised my shelf to fit Fantastic Beasts on it. I knew I still had the special paper bag which I got on the release day of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows but I didn't know I still had the receipt. Still think this is funny. I also put it back into the bag and put it in the back row of the shelf.





No comments:

Post a Comment